The painting was already mentioned as property of Carl Sachs in 1911, within the 4th Exhibition of Works by Modern Artists from the Wrocław's Private Collections.
During the confiscation of artworks by Nazis in 1940 Sachs lost the painting from his collection. In the same year it was sold through the Silesian Museum of Fine Arts (Schlesisches Museum der bildenden Künste) to the art dealer Erich Wiese, who resold it to the Galerie Nicolai in Berlin. In 1941 the painting entered the collection of the newly set up Führermuseum in Linz.
At the Central Collecting Point of Munich and at the Trusteeship of Cultural Goods (Treuhandverwaltung für Kulturgut/TVK) in the same city the painting was re-identified after the war and restituted in 1960. This was the only painting from the Sachs' collection, which was returned to Carl Sachs' descendants before the 1998 Washington Convention.
4. Ausstellung von Werken moderner Meister aus Breslauer Privatbesitz, 17.4.-14.5.1911 cat. no. 283
Auktionshaus Weinmüller München 15./16.3.1961, no. 1064
- Dr. Hans-Joachim Hinz