The painting belonged to the artist’s heritage which was bidden in 1911 at the auction-house Helbing in Munich. The picture was then purchased by Carl Sachs. In 1917 it was lent by the Wrocław’s collector for the exhibitions in Basle and Zurich.
In 1940 part of the Sachs’ collection, including the discussed painting was sequestrated by the Nazi government. In the same year the portrait was devolved complimentarily to the Silesian Museum of Fine Arts in Wrocław. The painting by Fritz von Uhde was seen for the last time in March and April of 1941 in the contemporarily so called “Borderland Museum” (Grenzlandmuseum) in Bytom (Beuthen O.S. in German). The canvas landed in the depot of Kamieniec (Kamenz in German), from where it got lost. For the time being it hasn’t been retrieved.
Kunsthalle Basel, Deutsche Malerei des 19. Jahrhunderts, 1917
Kunsthaus Zürich, Deutsche Malerei, 1917
Schlesisches Grenzlandmuseum Beuthen, Licht und Farbe in der Deutschen Malerei um 1900. Ausstellung aus den Beständen des Schlesischen Museums der Bildenden Künste, Breslau 1941
- Dr. Hans-Joachim Hinz