In the 18th century the painting was housed in English private collections. In 1841 and 1861 it was bidden twice at the Christie’s auction house in London. In 1884 it was recorded in possession of A. de Rotschild, and at the beginning of the past century it belonged to the collection of baron von Königswarther in Vienna. With the whole collection the painting was bidden in November 1906 at the Berliner Eduard Schulte auction house. Carl Sachs purchased the artwork between 1916 and 1921, and kept it in his private collection for the following years. Finally the artwork landed among the paintings which hat to be left in Germany because of the collector’s emigration in 1939. The national socialistic government confiscated also this painting and devolved it to the Silesian Museum of Fine Arts.
In 1942 took place the painting’s exportation to Kamieniec Ząbkowicki (Kamenz in German). However the depot was plundered several times during the World War II. The Teniers’ painting was stolen out as well and for a long time it was regarded as lost. No sooner than after 40 years the painting re-emerged in New York, as it was being bidden at the auction-house Christie’s. Afterwards it was recorded at the antiquarian market by Noortman & Brod, who sold it to a private owner.
On the grounds of the Washington Convention an agreement has been contracted with Sachs’ descendants.
Kunsthandlung Eduard Schulte: Katalog der Sammlung Baron Königswarter in Wien, Abt. II Gemälde Alter Meister, Versteigerung Berlin 20.11.1906
Christie, Manson & Woods: Important Paintings by Old Masters, Versteigerung New York 18.6.1982, No. 95
Noortman & Brod: Adriaen Brouwer, David Teniers the Younger - a loan Exhibition of Paintings, intr. & cat. by Margaret Klinge, New York, Maastricht 1982, No. 55
- Dr. Hans Joachim Hinz