The painting together with the other one entitled "Archangel Gabriel" were parts of the Saint Laurence Altarpiece commissioned by cardinal Agnolo Acciaioli between 1404 and 1407. It’s destination was St. Mary’s chapel of the Florentine Certosa del Galluzzo. Probably the paintings were housed in the Schloss Reisewitz to 1940s. In 1957 panels were given on long term loan to the Städelsches Kunstinstitut und Städtische Galerie, Frankfurt on Main by Adolf and Luisa Haeuser-Stiftung.
Rudolf Hiller von Gaertringen, Italienische Gemälde in Städel 1300-1550, Toskana und Umbrien, Katalog der Gemälde im Städelsches Kunstinstitut, Frankfurt am Main, Mainz 2002, p. 186-202
- Magdalena Palica