The painting, executed in 1875 belongs to the group of artworks containing motifs from Olevano, mainly depicting passages without people in them. What's distinguishing in the picture from the former collection of Hans Sachs, is the presence of a man climbing up the stone stairs.
The painting was exhibited in 1906 at the so called Jahrhundertausstellung in Berlin. It was contemporarily in possession of the painter Wilhelm Trübner. In 1911 the artwork was purchased form a private collection by the art merchant Karl Haberstock. For the first time the painting had been registered in the Carl Sachs' private collection in 1916. One year later the new owner lent the painting for the exhibitions dedicated to the German 19th Century Painting which took place in Basel and Zurich.
Also this painting casted in its lot with numerous artworks which Carl Sachs was unable to take along as he was forced to emigrate from Wrocław. In 1940 the collection was sequestrated by the German government and delivered to the Silesian Museum of Fine Arts in Wrocław. In the same museum a photo of the painting was taken. In 1941 it was shown for the last time to the public within the exhibition in Bytom (Beuthen in German). Finally the picture was sent to the depot in Kamieniec Ząbkowicki (Kamenz in German) and since then it has been regarded as lost.
Nationalgalerie Berlin, Ausstellung deutscher Kunst aus der Zeit von 1775-1875 in der Königlichen Nationalgalerie, 1906
Kunsthalle Basel, Deutsche Malerei des 19. Jahrhunderts, 1917
Kunsthaus Zürich, Deutsche Malerei, 1917
Schlesisches Grenzlandmuseum Beuthen, Licht und Farbe in der Deutschen Malerei um 1900. Ausstellung aus den Beständen des Schlesischen Museums der Bildenden Künste Breslau, 1941
- Dr. Hans-Joachim Hinz