Companion piece to the painting "Archangel Gabriel".
The paintings were probably acquired by Gustav Adolf von Ingenheim during his journeys to Italy. Around 1870 they were moved to new family residence in Reisewitz. In 1930 the paintings were acquired by the Duveen Brothers. In the 1964 they were purchased by the Samuel Kress Foundation, New York, and they were later bequeathed to the National Gallery of Art, Washington.
Miklós Boskovits, David Alan Brown, Italian Paintings of the Fifteenth Century. The Collections of National Gallery of Art Washington, New York 2003, p. 472-478
- Magdalena Palica