The painting was probably commisioned by Gustav Adolf von Ingenheim in 1824 in Rome. Around 1870 it was moved to new family residence in Reisewitz. The fates of the painting are unknown until 1994, whene it was sold in Galerie Neuse in Bremen to the private collection.
Moritz Daniel Oppenheim: die Entdeckung des jüdischen Selbstbewußtseins in der Kunst, Jüdisches Museum Frankfurt am Main, ed. Georg Heuberger and Anton Merk; Köln 1999, p. 350
- Magdalena Palica