First owner of the painting was Otto Claass from Königsberg (today Kaliningrad). After 1911 the composition was in possesion of the Galerie Carl Nicolai in Berlin. In April 1917 the painting was showned at the opening exhibition of Galerie Möller in Breslau. Probably than it was than purchased by Carl Sachs. Couple of months later (in 1917 during the „Ausstellung Deutscher Malerei“ in Basel and Zürich) he is listed as it's owner.
Sachs owned the painting more than two decades - until 1939 when it was confiscated by the by the German authorities. In 1945 the painting was a part of a private collection in West Germany, afterwards it appeared on the market (at the Kunsthaus Lempertz in Cologne and at the Galerie Gebhardt in Munich). In June 1984 the painting re-emerged in London, where it was put on at aucion at Sotheby's by a private owner and in 2002 once more at Lempertz in Cologne, where it was purchased to Würth collection. The Museum and the descendents of Carl Sachs had come to understanding, on the ground of the Washington convention.
Max Liebermann in seiner Zeit, Nationalgalerie Berlin Staatl. Museen Preuß. Kulturbesitz 6. Sept.- 4. Nov. 1979, Haus d. Kunst München 15. Dez. 1979-17. Febr. 1980, Sigrid Achenbach, Matthias Eberle (ed.), Berlin 1979, p. 306-307
- Dr. Hans-Joachim Hinz, dr Magdalena Palica