The painting was inspired by E. T. A. Hoffmann’s novel „Die Fermate".
The painting was acquired by Gustav Adolf von Ingenheim, friend and maecenas of Erdmann Hummel, in 1814. In the same year the painting was exhibited in Berlin, where it was seen by Hoffmann. The painting was inherited by Jules von Ingenheim and later by Jules’s daughter Elisabeth Mikusch von Buchberg (Hirschberg). In 1925 it was purchased by the Neue Pinakothek in Munich.
Magdalena Palica, Willa Ingenheim w Jeleniej Górze – krótka historia zapomnianej kolekcji, „Rocznik Jeleniogórski” 37(2006), p. 229-336
- Magdalena Palica