After splitting the collection between the children of Gustav Adolf von Ingenheim, the painting was given to Jules von Ingeheim. Later it was inherited by Jules’s daughter Elisabeth Mikusch von Buchberg (Hirschberg). Subsequently the tabernacle passed to Friedrich Lippmann Jr. (Berlin). By 1917 it belonged to Oswald Sirén in Stockholm, who sold it to the Kleinberger Galleries, New York, in the same year. From Kleinberger it was acquired by Michael Friedsam in 1918, and it was bequeathed to the Metropolitan Museum.
Bernard Berenson, Italian Pictures of the Renaissance: Florentine School, London, 1963, p. 56
- Magdalena Palica