The landscape painting firstly belonged to the collection Bernheim Jeune in Paris. Its first German owner was Adolf Rothermund in Dresden. Due to suppression of his collection many valuable artworks were transferred to Wroclaw, including the painting by Courbet. In 1923 the work had been for the first time recorded in Wroclaw and was at that time owned by Max Silberberg. In 1935 the painting was found among artworks which Silberberg was forced to offer on auction in the Auktionshaus Paul Graupe in Berlin. Due to the mentioned artworks’ auction the painting landed in a private ownership in Hamburg. Only after 30 years the picture emerged again at the art market, as it was offered in 1964 to the Galerie Lempertz in Cologne. Through the medium of the New York Gallery Paul Rosenberg and through the private art collection Emily Crane the painting reached the Art Institute of Chicago in 1967. At the base of Washington Convention came the Museum to an understanding with Max Silberberg’s descendants.
Karl Scheffler, Die Sammlung Max Silberberg, „Kunst und Künstler“, 30 (1931), p. 3-18
- Dr. Hans-Joachim Hinz