In the end of the 19th century the painting belonged to the collectors from Paris: Klotz, Paton und Henri Rouault. Than it was owned by Adolf Rothermundt (Dresden), from whom it was purchased by Leo Lewin. The picture had got to the collection of Max Silberberg, who was forced to sale it in the auction house of Paul Graupe in Berlin, in 1935 (25 March). In 1941 it was purchased from the of the Gallery of Hildebrand Guriltt in Hamburg by Wallraf-Richartz-Museum in Cologne. The Museum and the Max Silberbergs descendents had come to understanding, on the ground of the Washington convention.
Melancholie. Genie und Wahnsinn in der Kunst, Galeries Nationales du Grand Palais, Paris 10.10.2005-16.1.2006 · Neue Nationalgalerie, Berlin 17.2.-7.5.2006, Berlin 2006, p. 361
- Dr. Hans Joachim Hinz