The painting executed in 1898 was sold in 1914, from A. W. F. Müller's private collection in Hamburg, by the Gallery Heinemann to the Moderne Galerie (Thannhauser), both located in Munich (por. http://heinemann.gnm.de). Already in 1916 the same picture belonged to the collection of Carl Sachs, as we can learn from the „Kunstchronik". Carl Sachs lent also this painting for two exhibitions of German 19th Century Painting: in Basel and Zurich (1917). In 1926 the picture could be seen at the Great Exhibition of Corinth in Berlin.
Carl Sachs wasn't able to take the painting by Corinth as he emigrated. In 1940 the artwork was sequestrated from Wrocław and sent to the museum in Görlitz. Afterwards the picture was transferred to the depository in Kunów (Kuhna in German) and since then it has been regarded as missing.
Arthur Lindner, Die Gemälde-Sammlung Carl Sachs, „Kunstchronik“, 9.6.1916, col. 363
Kunsthalle Basel, Deutsche Malerei des 19. Jahrhunderts, 1917
Kunsthaus Zürich, Deutsche Malerei, 1917
Nationalgalerie Berlin, Lovis Corinth. Ausstellung von Gemälden und Aquarellen zu seinem Gedächtnis, 1926
Lovis Corinth: die Gemälde; Werkverzeichnis, ed. by Charlotte Berend-Corinth, München 1992, cat. no. 260
- Dr. Hans-Joachim Hinz