The painting belonged to Gustav Adolf von Ingenheim. Around 1870 the painting was moved to new family residence in Reisewitz. In 1922 the tabernacle was acquired by A. S. Drey, Munich dealer, from the Ingenheim family, Schloss Reisewitz. Drey sold it in 1923 to H. Goldmann, New York. In 1936 it passed to Duveen Brothers, from where it entered the Kress Collection in 1939 and as part of it came into the National Gallery of Art in Washington in the same year.
Richard Offner, A Critical and Historical Corpus of Florentine Painting, p. IV, vol. II: The Fourteenth Century. Nardo di Cione, New York 1960, p. 24-25
- Magdalena Palica