The records on the painting’s early provenance are non-unequivocal. The temporary ownership by the collectors and galleries Mauthner-Markhof, Rosenberg and Thannhauser has been however confirmed. Max Silberberg purchased the artwork in 1925, from the Galerie Thannhauser’s subsidiary in Luzern (the posterior Galerie Rosengart). In 1932 the auction arranged by the Paris gallery Georges Petit and by the Berliner Paul Cassirer Salon took place in Paris and was dedicated to the German art collections S… et S… On the aforementioned auction also the still life painting by Cézanne was offered, however it hadn’t been sold but stayed within the Silberberg’s collection and only in 1934 it changed its ownership. The painting was housed afterwards in several private collections in the Netherlands and then it reached the French collection of Jean Walter and was transferred in 1959 to the Musée de l’Orangerie.
Monika Tatzkow, Max Silberberg (1878-1945) Breslau [in:] Melissa Müller, Monika Tatzkow, Verlorene Bilder, verlorene Leben Jüdische Sammler und was aus ihren Kunstwerken wurde, München 2008, p. 125
- Dr. Hans-Joachim Hinz