Silberberg’s collection contained several paintings and drawings by a German artist Hans von Marées. The drawing being discussed was recorded in 1909, in the Mary Balling’s collection of Partenkirchen and in 1925 at the Berliner antiquarian market, as it was being bidden at the auction-house Amsler & Ruthardt. Afterwards it entered in Max Silberberg’s possession in Wrocław. In 1935 Silberberg was forced to offer on auction many artworks that he had owned. The mentioned drawing was offered on auction at the auction house Paukl Graupe of Berlin, entitled “Portrait of Franz Fiedler”. The purchaser hadn’t however been found so it was still housed within Silberberg’s collection. Therefore the painting was within the part of the collection which was in 1939 – as a Jewish property – commandeered. The “Portrait of Fiedler” was housed in the Silesian Museum of Fine Arts in Wrocław and in 1942 it was ceded to the museum. In January 1944 the drawing was secured in Szklarska Poręba (Schreiberhau in German). There was it discovered by the Polish government and transferred to Warsaw and in 1946 devolved to the National Museum.
Handzeichnungen des 16.bis 20. Jahrhunderts, Gemälde, Altes Kunstgewerbe aus verschiedenem Privatbesitz, Versteigerung 147, 12. Oktober 1935, Paul Graupe, Berlin 1935, nr 78
Mistrzowie rysunku niemieckiego od końca XVIII do początku XX wieku. Ze zbiorów Muzeum Narodowego w Warszawie, ed. by Anna Kozak, Warszawa 1991, Cat.-No. 51
- Dr. Hans-Joachim Hinz