Reading Room

The Reading Room features articles on the history of former art collections in Silesia as well as the contemporary texts. Enjoy the reading!


The foundational stained glass of the duke of Oels (Oleśnica)

Author: Beata Fekecz-Tomaszewska (Muzeum Architektury we Wrocławiu) (02 / 03 / 2010)

In the rich fund of Architecture Museum in Wroclaw, of particular importance is a small collection, including only over a dozen pieces, of early modern glasses painted in enamel technique and cabinet stained glasses from the 16th and 17th century, whose provenance is mostly Swiss or South-German. Among a few objects, whose provenance may be Silesian, particular attention requires a cabinet stained glass from 1597, with the Oels (Oleśnica) coat of arms.

The Hague in Kamieniec Ząbkowicki or a few words on a cycle of Dutch vedutas from the Palace of Kamieniec

Author: dr hab. Andrzej Kozieł (17 / 03 / 2010)

Our knowledge of the former mobile interior decor of the palace in Kamieniec Zabkowicki is inversely proportional to the knowledge about the architecture of this masterpiece of the European neo-Gothic period. While the circumstances of its origin, the history of its construction and the genesis of the architectonic form of the palace, designed in 1838 by Karl Friedrich Schinkel for the Princess Marianne of the Netherlands (Princess of Orange-Nassau), have had numerous and in-depth monographs, the only information about the former interior furnishings of the residence of Kamieniec are a few prewar photographs and a short report by Günther Grundmann, included in a volume of his memoirs from 1972. He recalls Renaissance furniture decorating the interiors and classicistic furnishings manufactured according to Schinkel’s design. The walls of the palace were decorated with views of Berlin and the Hague and with numerous portraits of the princes from Orange-Nassau and Hohenzollern dynasties painted by Friedrich Bury, Karl Begas and Franz Krüger.

The Bishop Heinrich Förster’s collection of paintings

Author: dr Joanna Lubos-Kozieł (12 / 04 / 2010)

The Wroclaw’s Bishop Heinrich Förster (1799-1881), who held his office between 1853 and 1881, was the most illustrious patron of painting and sacred art, who had ever operated in Silesia within the 19th century.

Source texts

Johann Gustav Büsching in Luboradz (Lobris in German)

Author: Magdalena Palica (13 / 12 / 2009)

The foregoing text originates from an issue by the Wroclaw’s brilliant philologist and fine arts’ amateur Johann Gustav Büsching, entitled Bruchstücke einer Geschäftsreise durch Schlesien in den Jahren 1810, 11, 12, Breslau 1813, pp. 62-65

Objects of the Month

May 2010: Edgar Degas "Ballet-Dancers"

A painting by Degas, depicting six ballet-dancers on stage, was most probably executed in the early 1880s. Circa fifty years later the picture was acquired for the collection of a renowned Wroclaw's collector of artworks, Max Silberberg.

June 2010: Vincent van Gogh "Garden in Auvers"

Vincent van Gogh spent the last two months of his life in Auvers sur-Oise in tutelage of Dr. Paul Gachet, who was immortalized by the artist in many canvas paintings. This was very strenuous time for the painter, it has been estimated that at that time he had created one new painting every day.

July 2010: Taddeo Gaddi "Death of a Nobleman from Celano"

Giorgio Vasari so alluded in the „Life of Giotto”, about the cycle of paintings decorating the sacristy shrine in one of the Florentine churches: "in the St. Cross Church [...] in the sacristy, scenes from Life of Christ and St. Francis [have been painted]". The presently accepted attribution, had been suggested no sooner than in the second half of the 19th century, by an Italian art historian Giovanni Battista Cavalcaselle.

Project co-financed by Ministry of Labour and Social Policy under Government Project – Civic Benefit Fund.
All information published under license: Creative Commons