We highly recommend an interesting project "The Baroque Workshop Michael Leopold Willmann's in an eye-glass", carried out by the Regional Museum in Jawor (Jauer in German)

Published: 19:34, 13 September 2010

Within the enterprise an exhibition of works by the “Silesian Rembrandt” is planned from October 8, 2010 to December 31, 2010, as well as presenting the plates and didactic aid pieces which shall introduce to the visitors, the technical concern of Willmann’s workshop, with special consideration to the unique technology of painting.

Owing to the paintings that have been delivered in occasion of the exhibition, mainly from National Museum in Wroclaw, from Muzeum Sprzętu Gospodarstwa Domowego in Ziębice (Münsterberg), the visitor will have an opportunity to discover more precisely one of the most interesting phenomenon in Silesian Art of the 17th-18th centuries. Furthermore, the exhibition’s organizers are preparing a didactic aid program, illustrating the following steps of creating an easel painting. An opportunity to look into the “interior” of a painting will be provided by presenting the samples taken from original paints and their exposure in intersections or presentation of the picture’s spectrum in UV light. Simultaneously the exhibition will be an opportunity to see the original tray used by Willmann, delivered from Museum of Embroidery in Kamienna Góra (Landeshut). The event will be accompanied by presentation of a scientific book, written in cooperation with researchers of the University of Wroclaw, Technical University of Wroclaw and artwork restoration studio in Cracow, edited by the connoisseur of Willman’s oeuvre, the assistant professor Andrzej Kozieł. The catalogue is planned after closing the exhibition in December. A significant project component is the reconstruction of the lost canvas painting by Michael Willmann, depicting “Crucifixion”, originally housed in the palace chapel of the family von Nostitz in Luboradz (Lobris). Regional Museum in Jawor received a fragment of this artwork two years ago, for restoration. As is already known, the painting was adherent to the series of Passion scenes whose components were also 4 other paintings: “Ecce Homo”, “Agony in the Garden Gethsemane”, “Descent under the Cross” and “Entombment”. The “Crucifixion” picture, as the crowning theme of Passion adorned the main altar of the chapel in Luboradz. Other paintings by Willmann were housed in the palace of Luboradz as well, among them the mythological "Andromeda. The series of pictures for the chapel was commissioned in Willmann’s workshop by Count Christoph von Nositz, in the 1680s which can be confirmed by a date in the “Entombment”: 1682.

Recently, an artwork restorer Marcin Ciba and an art historian Arkadiusz Muła, discovered the Willmann’s signature with a date [M: Willmann 1688] in one of the side altars of the St. Martin’s Church in Jawor, as testimony of Willmann’s activity in the area of the former princedom of Jawor. The painter left his signature in the painting depicting “The Holy Trinity and Saints awaiting the Virgin Mary in Heaven” that crowns the Altar of St. Mary’s Assumption. The period of the painting’s creation can be connected with the foundational activity of the Cistercian Order in the Jawor properties. The painting’s donation can possibly be connected with other artworks from Willmann’s workshop, today located in the neighboring Cistercian churches, mainly in the pilgrimage church in Słup, situated merely 8 km from Jawor. The Willmann’s signature, painted with red pigment, delusively reminds the form of signature known from the Willmann’s self-portrait, bearing the date 1682 (the painting is housed in National Museum in Wroclaw. In both inscriptions the painter repeated easily the first letter of his name M[Michael]”.

Author of the note: Arkadiusz Muła

The project is being co-financed by the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage and by the municipality of Jawor. Partners of the enterprise are museums in Lower Silesia as well as the Roman-Catholic congregations of Jawor and Lubomierz. The honoured patronage of the project has been taken by the Office of the European Deputy Piotr Borys. The medial patrons are: Gość Niedzielny, Radio Plus, TV Jawor. The exhibition’s curators are: Teresa Chołubek-Spyt and Arkadiusz Muła.

By opportunity it’s a pleasure for us to add that Regional Museum of Jawor has joined the partnership of the project “Silesian Art Collections”.

News

We recommend an interesting project "The collectors' Warsaw"

Published: 05 / 03 / 2014

We invite you to visit the portal dedicated to the collections gathered by art lovers of Warsaw between the mid 19th and the beginning of the 20th century. The aim of this project is to bring the figures of many art collectors closer, whose art acquisitions still remain unknown. Among them we shall mention Leon Franciszek Goldberg-Górski, Bronislaw Krystall, Edward Rejcher or Gustaw and Julia Wertheim.

The lecture series on the Schaubert's art collection

Published: 05 / 03 / 2014

We are pleased to invite you to the lecture series on artworks which were part of the collection gathered by a famous architect Eduard Schaubert (1804-1860). Many antiques did he gather within his long-term residence in Greece, where he was a court architect.

70th anniversary of Edvard Munch’s death

Published: 23 / 01 / 2014

70 years have now passed since Edvard Munch's death, therefore his oeuvre has reached the public domain. In this way we are able to present photos of the painter's works which were formerly housed in private collections in Breslau.

Three paintings from the Gurlitt's collection formerly belonged to the collectors from Breslau

Published: 21 / 11 / 2013

Many among over 1400 artworks found in Cornelius Gurlitt, son of a merchant collaborating with Nazis Hildebrand Gurlitt's apartment in Munich, had formerly been parts of the Jewish collections.

We invite to the exhibition "German Painting from Classicism to Symbolism"

Published: 03 / 04 / 2012

In the National Museum of Wrocław, from April 2 to May 20, 2012, 130 paintings can be admired, created between the late 18th and the early 20th century. The flagship of the exhibition is the Alpine Landscape by Joseph Anton Koch which formerly belonged to the collection of the family von Ingenheim.

The Palace of Pawłowice exhibits copies of the paintings from the Korn family collection

Published: 03 / 04 / 2012

On initiative of prof. Jerzy Monkiewicz, from the Faculty of Biology and Animal Sciences at the University of Environmental and Life Sciences, the Palace of Pawłowice which formerly belonged to the Korn family, exhibits copies of the paintings from their former collection. Among them can be seen: the "Garden in Kissingen" by Adolph Menzel, "The Young Girl-Gardener" by Christian Dietrich, "Still Life" by Philipp Sauerland, as well as the "Prussian King Wilhelm I by his Mother's Sarcophagus" by Anton von Werner.

Exhibition "Older views of Silesia" in the Paulinum Palace

Published: 10 / 02 / 2012

On behalf of the Foundation of Silesian Palaces and Gardens' Valley of Jelenia Góra we beg to invite on Friday, February 11, 2012, at 16.00, to the Paulinum Palace, for the next opening of the exhibition entitled: "Travelling in Times - Older Views of Silesia in Engravings from the Haselbach's Collection".

We recommend a book: Magdalena Palica “Od Delacroix do van Gogha. Żydowskie kolekcje sztuki w dawnym Wrocławiu”

Published: 03 / 10 / 2011

We highly invite all the interested in Silesian collecting, to read the newly released book. For more information see here.

Together with Regional Museum in Jawor we invite to the closure of the exhibition entitled "The Baroque workshop Michael Leopold Willmann's in an eye-glass"

Published: 09 / 12 / 2010

The exhibition closure will begin on Saturday, December 18, at 6 o'clock p.m., with presenting a scientific issue entitled "Michael Leopold Willmann's paintings in an eye-glass", written by Marcin Ciba, Andrzej Kozieł and Barbara Łydżba-Kopczyńska.

We invite to an exhibition of engravings from the Haselbach's collection in the Museum of Nysa

Published: 03 / 09 / 2010

In the early 1940s Albrecht August Haselbach formed the largest collection of topographical sights, that had ever existed in Silesia. It included 4000 copperplates, etchings and lithographies. The collection included also single prints from the 16th-18th centuries; its main part is however formed by engravings deriving from romanticism and the Biedermeier period, i.e. dating from around 1850s. Some of them may be presented in the Museum of Nysa, at the exhibition entitled "Temporal voyages".

We encourage visiting the exhibition by the title “The Family Splendour – Effigies and Collections of the Ballestrem Family, in the Museum of Gliwice (Gleiwitz in German)”.

Published: 26 / 08 / 2010

The hundredth jubilee of Franz Karl von Ballestrem’s death that has passed this year can be brilliant occasion to redeem the memory of one of the most notable and influential Upper Silesian families. On such an occasion the Museum of Gliwice (Gleiwitz) has organized an exhibition entitled The Family Splendour – Effigies and Collections of the Ballestrem Family, in the Museum of Gliwice.

The exhibition’s opening will take place on September 3, 2010, at 5 o’clock p.m., in the Villa Caro.

We highly recommend a new article about the drawing by Carl Philipp Fohr

Published: 26 / 08 / 2010

We beg to invite you to read the text dedicated to the history of a sketch by Carl Philipp Fohr, presently the pride of Detroit Institute of Arts. This drawing, along with several other works by Fohr, was purchased by the artist’s friend Carl Herrmann, who also was a painter. Along the collection of the latter, the drawing was transferred to Wroclaw, where it was housed by several renowned art collectors, among them by Adelbert Woelfl, a painter of town views.

Our group of project partners has been contributed by Municipal Museum “Gerhart Hauptmann’s House” in Jagniątków (Agnetendorf in German)

Published: 24 / 06 / 2010

The picturesquely situated villa of a Nobel Prize winner Gerhart Hauptmann, houses presently the museum baptized with his name, which has become partner of our project.

Giant Mountains Museum in Jelenia Góra (Hirschberg in German) has become new partner of our project.

Published: 13 / 06 / 2010

Giant Mountains Museum mostly houses numerous paintings on glass, deriving from the former collection of Erich Wiese, the many years’ governor of the former Wroclaw’s Museum of Fine Arts.

The project has received financial support from the Operating Program: Public Enterprises’ Fund

Published: 01 / 06 / 2010

We beg to inform that the project “Silesian Art Collections” has received grants tendered by the Ministry of Labor and Social Politics within the Governmental Program – Public Enterprises’ Fund.

Owing to the received support we are planning to prepare in near future, mostly suggestions of tourist routes which will appear on the website “Interactive Map of Silesia”.

We recommend a new article about artworks from the palace in Moszna (Moschen in German).

Published: 28 / 05 / 2010

The Palace in Moszna (Moschen in German), one of the most famous architectural monuments in the Opole surroundings, was decorated before the World War II, with precious artworks, among them the series of mural paintings and tapestries that had formerly adorned the Italian patricians’ palaces.

We invite to read an article about the series of tapestries depicting the biblical history of Jacob, presently housed in Musées Royaux d’Art et d’Histoire in Brussels. The designs for individual compositions were executed by the celebrated Netherlandish painter Bernard van Orley.

The Museum of Nysa has become our new project partner

Published: 25 / 05 / 2010

The exuberant collection of the Museum of Nysa houses numerous artworks which formerly decorated many residencies situated in the town's surroundings. A significant group of artworks constitute the paintings that once served as adornment of a famous castle of Kamieniec Ząbkowicki, among them the series of vedutas depicting the Hague.

Artworks from the Joseph Langer's Collection

Published: 25 / 05 / 2010

We invite to discover the painter Joseph Langer’s collection, whose large part is presently housed in Museum of Household Accessories in Ziębice (Münsterberg in German). Among the artworks collected by the artist, mostly the only signed picture by Anna Elisabeth Willmann and numerous sculptures have to be mentioned. The artworks deriving from this collection can also be admired in Giant Mountains Museum of Jelenia Góra (Hirschberg in German) and in National Museum of Wroclaw.

We recommend a book: Michał Mencfel, “Treasuries of Nature and Art”

Published: 25 / 05 / 2010

We highly invite all the interested in Silesian collecting, to read the newly released book, entitled “Treasuries of Nature and Art. Silesian Private Cabinets of Rarities, Art Collections and Natural Wonders, in the 17th and 18th centuries”.

This is the first attempt of synthetic scrutiny on Silesian private collections formed in the foregoing period, with an attempt to distinguish individual collection types.

The meeting initiating the project "Silesian Art Collections”

Published: 03 / 05 / 2010

We invite on Tuesday, on May 11, 2010, at 6 o’clock p.m.

to the Art History Institute of the Wroclaw University

ul. Szewska 36, Room No. 306

The well known art critic Karl Scheffler who visited in 1923 some houses of the Wroclaw’s art collectors, wrote afterwards: “The cupboards and walls (in the collectors’ apartments) are filled with most adorable works by German and French artists. There are plenty of precious examples of older and contemporary graphic art. Even the artworks rarely found in most exuberant collections can be seen there”.

We invite to a lecture by Magdalena Palica, entitled “Silesian Art Collections“.

Published: 03 / 05 / 2010

The lecture dedicated to the panorama of art collecting in Silesia, will be given on Monday, May 10, 2010, at 2 o’clock p.m. in the room no. 116 of National Museum in Wroclaw.

This is a meeting from the series entitled “Art in Silesia”, arranged by the Wroclaw’s party of Art Historians’ Association.

New partner: "The Palaces and Gardens' Valley"

Published: 10 / 02 / 2010

The group of our project partners has been supported by the “Palaces and Gardens’ Valley of the Jelenia Góra Cirque”, active since 2005, whose main aim is preservation and promotion of historical complexes of palaces and gardens, as well as court and other residential buildings in the Jelenia Góra Cirque.

The description standards of artworks in the database “Silesian Art Collections“

Published: 10 / 02 / 2010

All the artworks tabulated in our project are being described according to the international standards of cataloguing artworks: Object-ID and Dublin Core. For describing individual themes we use the system of iconographical classification Iconclass.

The Museum in Ziębice (Münsterberg in German) has become our new project partner

Published: 10 / 01 / 2010

The Museum of Household Accessories in Ziębice (Münsterberg) has become partner of our project. The museum houses the former collection of the Silesian painter Joseph Langer (1865-1919).

Project co-financed by Ministry of Labour and Social Policy under Government Project – Civic Benefit Fund.
All information published under license: Creative Commons