We encourage visiting the exhibition by the title “The Family Splendour – Effigies and Collections of the Ballestrem Family, in the Museum of Gliwice (Gleiwitz in German)”.

Published: 20:23, 26 August 2010

The hundredth jubilee of Franz Karl von Ballestrem’s death that has passed this year can be brilliant occasion to redeem the memory of one of the most notable and influential Upper Silesian families. On such an occasion the Museum of Gliwice (Gleiwitz) has organized an exhibition entitled The Family Splendour – Effigies and Collections of the Ballestrem Family, in the Museum of Gliwice.

The exhibition’s opening will take place on September 3, 2010, at 5 o’clock p.m., in the Villa Caro.

The Ballestrem family roots can be sought in Italy. Its first representative in Silesian land was Giovanni Battista Angelo Ballestrero di Castellengo who began, as an experienced officer, his military service in the 3rd Hussar Regiment and came to Silesia during the I Silesian War in 1740-1742.

The charity and professional activity of Count Franz Ballestrem, his diligence and commitment in civil life contributed undoubtedly to the political and financial significance of the whole family. Possibly under these circumstances the family residence in Pławniowice (Plawniowitz in German) was rebuilt and the family moved there in 1885.

The current exhibition deserves to be inscribed in the series of celebrations commemorating the hundredth jubilee of Count Franz von Ballestrem’s death. From the extremely precious and heterogeneous collection the exhibition presents almost all of the paintings, among them numerous portraits of members of the Ballestrem family. Regarding the large amount of artifacts, the presentation of tee kettles, mugs and glass has been limited to the most precious ones that emphasize the character of the count’s collection. The exhibition has been completed with numerous arts and crafts’ works. These are the family souvenirs that aren’t linked to other collections; however they are testimonies of splendour of the Ballestrem family.

The exhibition is available to see from September 3-December 31, 2010 in:

Muzeum w Gliwicach

Ul. Dolnych Wałów 8a

44-100 Gliwice

www.museum.gliwice.pl

info@muzeum.gliwice.pl

Opening hours:

Tuesday: 11.00-18.00

Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday: 9.00-15.00

Thursday: 11.00-18.00, free entry

News

We recommend an interesting project "The collectors' Warsaw"

Published: 05 / 03 / 2014

We invite you to visit the portal dedicated to the collections gathered by art lovers of Warsaw between the mid 19th and the beginning of the 20th century. The aim of this project is to bring the figures of many art collectors closer, whose art acquisitions still remain unknown. Among them we shall mention Leon Franciszek Goldberg-Górski, Bronislaw Krystall, Edward Rejcher or Gustaw and Julia Wertheim.

The lecture series on the Schaubert's art collection

Published: 05 / 03 / 2014

We are pleased to invite you to the lecture series on artworks which were part of the collection gathered by a famous architect Eduard Schaubert (1804-1860). Many antiques did he gather within his long-term residence in Greece, where he was a court architect.

70th anniversary of Edvard Munch’s death

Published: 23 / 01 / 2014

70 years have now passed since Edvard Munch's death, therefore his oeuvre has reached the public domain. In this way we are able to present photos of the painter's works which were formerly housed in private collections in Breslau.

Three paintings from the Gurlitt's collection formerly belonged to the collectors from Breslau

Published: 21 / 11 / 2013

Many among over 1400 artworks found in Cornelius Gurlitt, son of a merchant collaborating with Nazis Hildebrand Gurlitt's apartment in Munich, had formerly been parts of the Jewish collections.

We invite to the exhibition "German Painting from Classicism to Symbolism"

Published: 03 / 04 / 2012

In the National Museum of Wrocław, from April 2 to May 20, 2012, 130 paintings can be admired, created between the late 18th and the early 20th century. The flagship of the exhibition is the Alpine Landscape by Joseph Anton Koch which formerly belonged to the collection of the family von Ingenheim.

The Palace of Pawłowice exhibits copies of the paintings from the Korn family collection

Published: 03 / 04 / 2012

On initiative of prof. Jerzy Monkiewicz, from the Faculty of Biology and Animal Sciences at the University of Environmental and Life Sciences, the Palace of Pawłowice which formerly belonged to the Korn family, exhibits copies of the paintings from their former collection. Among them can be seen: the "Garden in Kissingen" by Adolph Menzel, "The Young Girl-Gardener" by Christian Dietrich, "Still Life" by Philipp Sauerland, as well as the "Prussian King Wilhelm I by his Mother's Sarcophagus" by Anton von Werner.

Exhibition "Older views of Silesia" in the Paulinum Palace

Published: 10 / 02 / 2012

On behalf of the Foundation of Silesian Palaces and Gardens' Valley of Jelenia Góra we beg to invite on Friday, February 11, 2012, at 16.00, to the Paulinum Palace, for the next opening of the exhibition entitled: "Travelling in Times - Older Views of Silesia in Engravings from the Haselbach's Collection".

We recommend a book: Magdalena Palica “Od Delacroix do van Gogha. Żydowskie kolekcje sztuki w dawnym Wrocławiu”

Published: 03 / 10 / 2011

We highly invite all the interested in Silesian collecting, to read the newly released book. For more information see here.

Together with Regional Museum in Jawor we invite to the closure of the exhibition entitled "The Baroque workshop Michael Leopold Willmann's in an eye-glass"

Published: 09 / 12 / 2010

The exhibition closure will begin on Saturday, December 18, at 6 o'clock p.m., with presenting a scientific issue entitled "Michael Leopold Willmann's paintings in an eye-glass", written by Marcin Ciba, Andrzej Kozieł and Barbara Łydżba-Kopczyńska.

We highly recommend an interesting project "The Baroque Workshop Michael Leopold Willmann's in an eye-glass", carried out by the Regional Museum in Jawor (Jauer in German)

Published: 13 / 09 / 2010

Within the enterprise an exhibition of works by the “Silesian Rembrandt” is planned from October 8, 2010 to December 31, 2010, as well as presenting the plates and didactic aid pieces which shall introduce to the visitors, the technical concern of Willmann’s workshop, with special consideration to the unique technology of painting.

We invite to an exhibition of engravings from the Haselbach's collection in the Museum of Nysa

Published: 03 / 09 / 2010

In the early 1940s Albrecht August Haselbach formed the largest collection of topographical sights, that had ever existed in Silesia. It included 4000 copperplates, etchings and lithographies. The collection included also single prints from the 16th-18th centuries; its main part is however formed by engravings deriving from romanticism and the Biedermeier period, i.e. dating from around 1850s. Some of them may be presented in the Museum of Nysa, at the exhibition entitled "Temporal voyages".

We highly recommend a new article about the drawing by Carl Philipp Fohr

Published: 26 / 08 / 2010

We beg to invite you to read the text dedicated to the history of a sketch by Carl Philipp Fohr, presently the pride of Detroit Institute of Arts. This drawing, along with several other works by Fohr, was purchased by the artist’s friend Carl Herrmann, who also was a painter. Along the collection of the latter, the drawing was transferred to Wroclaw, where it was housed by several renowned art collectors, among them by Adelbert Woelfl, a painter of town views.

Our group of project partners has been contributed by Municipal Museum “Gerhart Hauptmann’s House” in Jagniątków (Agnetendorf in German)

Published: 24 / 06 / 2010

The picturesquely situated villa of a Nobel Prize winner Gerhart Hauptmann, houses presently the museum baptized with his name, which has become partner of our project.

Giant Mountains Museum in Jelenia Góra (Hirschberg in German) has become new partner of our project.

Published: 13 / 06 / 2010

Giant Mountains Museum mostly houses numerous paintings on glass, deriving from the former collection of Erich Wiese, the many years’ governor of the former Wroclaw’s Museum of Fine Arts.

The project has received financial support from the Operating Program: Public Enterprises’ Fund

Published: 01 / 06 / 2010

We beg to inform that the project “Silesian Art Collections” has received grants tendered by the Ministry of Labor and Social Politics within the Governmental Program – Public Enterprises’ Fund.

Owing to the received support we are planning to prepare in near future, mostly suggestions of tourist routes which will appear on the website “Interactive Map of Silesia”.

We recommend a new article about artworks from the palace in Moszna (Moschen in German).

Published: 28 / 05 / 2010

The Palace in Moszna (Moschen in German), one of the most famous architectural monuments in the Opole surroundings, was decorated before the World War II, with precious artworks, among them the series of mural paintings and tapestries that had formerly adorned the Italian patricians’ palaces.

We invite to read an article about the series of tapestries depicting the biblical history of Jacob, presently housed in Musées Royaux d’Art et d’Histoire in Brussels. The designs for individual compositions were executed by the celebrated Netherlandish painter Bernard van Orley.

The Museum of Nysa has become our new project partner

Published: 25 / 05 / 2010

The exuberant collection of the Museum of Nysa houses numerous artworks which formerly decorated many residencies situated in the town's surroundings. A significant group of artworks constitute the paintings that once served as adornment of a famous castle of Kamieniec Ząbkowicki, among them the series of vedutas depicting the Hague.

Artworks from the Joseph Langer's Collection

Published: 25 / 05 / 2010

We invite to discover the painter Joseph Langer’s collection, whose large part is presently housed in Museum of Household Accessories in Ziębice (Münsterberg in German). Among the artworks collected by the artist, mostly the only signed picture by Anna Elisabeth Willmann and numerous sculptures have to be mentioned. The artworks deriving from this collection can also be admired in Giant Mountains Museum of Jelenia Góra (Hirschberg in German) and in National Museum of Wroclaw.

We recommend a book: Michał Mencfel, “Treasuries of Nature and Art”

Published: 25 / 05 / 2010

We highly invite all the interested in Silesian collecting, to read the newly released book, entitled “Treasuries of Nature and Art. Silesian Private Cabinets of Rarities, Art Collections and Natural Wonders, in the 17th and 18th centuries”.

This is the first attempt of synthetic scrutiny on Silesian private collections formed in the foregoing period, with an attempt to distinguish individual collection types.

The meeting initiating the project "Silesian Art Collections”

Published: 03 / 05 / 2010

We invite on Tuesday, on May 11, 2010, at 6 o’clock p.m.

to the Art History Institute of the Wroclaw University

ul. Szewska 36, Room No. 306

The well known art critic Karl Scheffler who visited in 1923 some houses of the Wroclaw’s art collectors, wrote afterwards: “The cupboards and walls (in the collectors’ apartments) are filled with most adorable works by German and French artists. There are plenty of precious examples of older and contemporary graphic art. Even the artworks rarely found in most exuberant collections can be seen there”.

We invite to a lecture by Magdalena Palica, entitled “Silesian Art Collections“.

Published: 03 / 05 / 2010

The lecture dedicated to the panorama of art collecting in Silesia, will be given on Monday, May 10, 2010, at 2 o’clock p.m. in the room no. 116 of National Museum in Wroclaw.

This is a meeting from the series entitled “Art in Silesia”, arranged by the Wroclaw’s party of Art Historians’ Association.

New partner: "The Palaces and Gardens' Valley"

Published: 10 / 02 / 2010

The group of our project partners has been supported by the “Palaces and Gardens’ Valley of the Jelenia Góra Cirque”, active since 2005, whose main aim is preservation and promotion of historical complexes of palaces and gardens, as well as court and other residential buildings in the Jelenia Góra Cirque.

The description standards of artworks in the database “Silesian Art Collections“

Published: 10 / 02 / 2010

All the artworks tabulated in our project are being described according to the international standards of cataloguing artworks: Object-ID and Dublin Core. For describing individual themes we use the system of iconographical classification Iconclass.

The Museum in Ziębice (Münsterberg in German) has become our new project partner

Published: 10 / 01 / 2010

The Museum of Household Accessories in Ziębice (Münsterberg) has become partner of our project. The museum houses the former collection of the Silesian painter Joseph Langer (1865-1919).

Project co-financed by Ministry of Labour and Social Policy under Government Project – Civic Benefit Fund.
All information published under license: Creative Commons