Adolph Seiler (1824-1873)
Biography:

Seiler was born in a family of master glassmaker in Lüben and likely took his first training in this profession in his father's worlkshop. Later he was taken into the workshop of his brother in Görlitz where he obtained his master's title. His career was greatly influenced be his acquaintance with the renowned stained-glass maker Carl Samuel Scheinert from Meissen, who taught him the secrets of this craft. No later than in 1846 Seiler moved to Breslau where he opened a glass and stained-glass workshop in Tauentzienplatz (today's pl. Kościuszki). In its interiors he periodically organized the exhibition of his newest works. In the 2nd half of 1850s the workshop grew in esteem and numerous commissions allowed the owner to build a tenement house in Neue Taschenstrasse 5 (today's ul. Kołłątaja), the courtyard of which held a multistory building containing the workshops and the exhibition room. From 1861 the workshop was named "The Stained-glass Institute of Adolph Seiler” which name it carried until 1945. The stained-glass maker was active in local associations, such as The Society for Founding and Preserving Silesian Antiquities.

Duration of this collection in Silesia: around 1850 - around 1945
Description of the collection:

Seiler collected mainly old stained-glass panels, some of which originated in Silesia. The collection, which could have been used as inspiration for new stained-glass compositions as well, was completed with applied arts items. In 1858 Seiler loaned 7 objects from his collection to the first exhibition of Silesian antiquities. 5 of them (4 stained-glass panels with coats-of-arms and one cup) he later donated to the newly founded Museum of Silesian Antiquities.

Categories of works of art in this collection: Applied arts (1)
Bibliography:

Magda Ławicka, Zapomniana pracownia. Wrocławski Instytut Witrażowy Adolpha Seilera (1846-1945), Wrocław 2002

Localization: Breslau (Wrocław) - Taschenstrasse 5 (today's ul. Kołłątaja)
Authors of this entry:
  • Magda Ławicka
Published on: 19 / 05 / 2010
Project co-financed by Ministry of Labour and Social Policy under Government Project – Civic Benefit Fund.
All information published under license: Creative Commons