family von Pourtalès
Creators of the collection:

In 1824 the estate of Glumbowitz was purchased by the royal counselor Carl von Pourtalès. The classicistic palace of the family was adorned with numerous works of art, probably at the time when the palace was the residence of Friedrich von Pourtalès (1853-1928), Prussian politician and diplomat (he was, among others, the ambassador in Petersburg in 1907-1914).

Description of the collection:

The collection featured many antiquities from Italy, which were the gift to Friedricha von Pourtalès from his father Wilhelm (1815-1889), who spent a number of years in Venice completing an impressive collection of Renaissance sculpture (including works by Jacopo Sansovino and Andrea Riccio). Also in Italy the collector acquired bronze figures of Mars and Neptune from Venetian Palazzo Rezzonico (today in Detroit Institute of Art), which were sent to his palace in Wilhelmstrasse in Berlin, and then further to Silesia. Beside Renaissance sculptures (such as the alabaster figure of St. Hieronymus from the workshop of Bartolomé Ordóñez, today in the Walters Art Museum in Baltimore, or the bronze bas-relief by Donatello's partner, Giovanni da Pisa, depicting a Madonna with Child, which later found its way to the Rohoncz collection) the palace in Glumbowitz was also decorated with the paintings by old Italian masters, at least until count Friedrich von Pourtalès's death in 1928.

Categories of works of art in this collection: Sculpture (2), Painting (1)
Localization: Glumbowitz (Głębowice) - palace of family von Pourtalès
Authors of this entry:
  • Magdalena Palica
Published on: 01 / 06 / 2010
Project co-financed by Ministry of Labour and Social Policy under Government Project – Civic Benefit Fund.
All information published under license: Creative Commons