family von Matuschka
Creators of the collection:

The core of the collection in Bechau was founded by Count Eloi Matuschka von Toppolczan (1834-1884), who acquired the estate in Bechau near Neisse in 1856. A couple of years later he commissioned erecting a new palace on the estate, based on the design of a renowned architect Carl Lüdecky. Most probably at that very time Count von Matuschka started developing his library and collecting works of art for his new residence.

Duration of this collection in Silesia: around 1860 - 1945
Description of the collection:

The main part of the collection was formed by works of Italian masters, such as Carlo Portelli, Girolamo Siciolane da Sermonetta and Gaspare Diziani. Of north-European paintings it is worth to mention "The Adoration of the Child" by a follower of Hugo van der Goes. The collection included also copies of famous compositions like "Madonna di Loreto" by Raffael and "Madonna And Child" by Sano di Pietro. The walls of the palace were decorated by numerous portraits, some of which likely were depictions of the family members. An additional part of the collection was chinaware from Sèvres and Meissen.

Categories of works of art in this collection: Painting (10)
Bibliography:

Magdalena Palica, Kilka słów o kolekcji hrabiów Matuschków z Biechowa koło Nysy, czyli przyczynek do badań nad śląskim kolekcjonerstwem [in:] Nysa. Sztuka w dawnej stolicy księstwa biskupiego, Materiały sesji naukowej 3-5 X 2005 Nysa, Ryszard Hołownia, Mateusz Kapustka (ed.), Wrocław 2008, p. 289-297

Notes:

The works of art from the collection of von Matuschkas are in the Museum of Nysa today.

Localization: Bechau (Biechów) - palace of family von Matuschka
Authors of this entry:
  • Magdalena Palica
Published on: 30 / 11 / 2009
Project co-financed by Ministry of Labour and Social Policy under Government Project – Civic Benefit Fund.
All information published under license: Creative Commons