Förster  Heinrich, , 1799-1881 /  ,   - Breslau

Bishop Heinrich Förster

 
Heinrich Förster (1799-1881)
Biography:

Born in 1799 in Groß-Glogau as a son of a church painter. He studied in Breslau and became a priest in 1825. In 1837 he became a canon and the cathedral preacher; in 1853 – a bishop of Breslau. From 1875, when he was stripped of his office by Prussian authorities, he resided in the castle of Jánský Vrch in Javorník, located in the Austrian part of the diocese of Breslau, until his death in 1881.

Duration of this collection in Silesia: 1853 - 1881
Description of the collection:

The preserved inventory of Heinrich Förster's property and a number of other sources indicate that the bishop's collection consisted of around 50 religious paintings, over 20 landscapes and around 10 portraits, among which the works of contemporary painters dominated. The most valuable works included religious compositions of late Nasarene painters from Düsseldorf: Karl Müller, Franz Ittenbach and Andreas Müller, as well as the works of another artist from Düsseldorf - Heinrich Mücke, Leopold Kupelwieser from Vienna, Gebhardt Flatz who worked in Rome, or the academician from Berlin Julius Schrader. The bishop acquired also the paintings of local artists: Raphael Schall, Theodor Hamacher, Adolf Zimmermann and Carl Wohnlich.

Categories of works of art in this collection: Painting (9)
Bibliography:

Joanna Lubos-Kozieł, „Wiarą tchnące obrazy”. Studia z dziejów malarstwa religijnego na Śląsku w XIX wieku (Acta Universitatis Wratislaviensis No 2662, Historia Sztuki XVIII), Wrocław 2004

Notes:

The collection was stored partly in the bishop's palace in Breslau and partly in the castle in Javornik, adorning both official and private interiors of both residences. After Förster's death the collection was dispersed, as he divided them in his last will between churches, monasteries, religious offices and residences of the diocese of Breslau, as well as a number of private persons. The remaining works, mostly of lesser value, were requested to be sold. Until present day 13 works from Förster's collection were found and identified, including paintings of Ittenbach and Karl and Andreas Müller.

Localization: Breslau (Wrocław) - The bishop's palace, ul. Katedralna 15 (Domstraße 15)
Authors of this entry:
  • dr Joanna Lubos-Kozieł
Published on: 12 / 04 / 2010
Project co-financed by Ministry of Labour and Social Policy under Government Project – Civic Benefit Fund.
All information published under license: Creative Commons