To the north of Wroclaw
We suggest beginning our excursion in the palace of Brzeg Dolny (Dyhrenfuhrt, currently seat of Culture Center and Town Hall of Brzeg Dolny). In 1767 the property was acquired by Count KarI Georg von Hoym, then the Minister of Silesia. On his order, the residece rebuilt was undertaken by a notable architect Karl Gotthard Langhans. The palace, picturesquely situated at the riverside, previosly housed a picture gallery which included numerous landscapes and portraits, among them the canvas paintings by Jean-Marc Nattier, exported from France to decorate the large hall on the ground-floor. The interiors were also decorated with by Franz Xavier Winterhaltera. The palace housed also ancient musical instruments. Presently the former splendour of the Hoyms' residence is being testified by large park property, designed by Langhans (wstęp entry, information and the park's layout available at the homepage park.brzegdolny.pl), where the ruins of the family mausoleum von Hoym are worth seeing.
Pokaż na większej mapie
Our next stop will be the palace in Bagno (Heinzendorf in German, today the Salvatorian Seminary, information on sightseeing available at the homepage seminarium.salwatorianie.pl) which was purchased in 1905, by a Wroclaw's renowned brewerian and artworks' amateur Georg Kissling. In the following years an additional wing was erected and the family moved to the extended palace in 1912. At that time the residence was mainly decorated with canvas paintings by Max Liebermann, Alessandro Battaglia and Franz Skarbina. Within the palace decoration were also exploited the ancient stained glasses, the two of which are currently inserted in the windows of the former Feast Hall (used as chapel). In many interiors remained the original decor from the period of Kissling (columns of the Carrara marble, stucco decorations, wallpapers of canvas, panelling).
At the nearby distance from Bagno there is another village Głębowice (Glumbowitz) which contains ruins of the palace, formerly belonging to the family of Pourtalès. The property of Głębowice was purchased in 1824, by the king's counsellor Carl von Pourtalès. At the turn of the 19th and 20th century, at the instance of Friedrich von Pourtalès, the palace interiors were decorated with masterpieces that he had inherited from his father Wilhelm. They included Italian Renaissance sculptures (among them works by Jacopo Sansovino, Giovanni da Pisa and by Andrea Riccio) and works of the Spanish Renaissance (e.g. the statue of St. Jerome, from the workshop of Bartolomé Ordóñez), as well as older masters’ paintings. The collection’s pride was constituted by the bronze statues of Mars and Neptune deriving from the Venetian Palazzo Rezzonico. The palace was formerly surrounded by a large garden which is merely reminded by the destroyed conservatory.
The last stop on our route will be the palace in Milicz (Militsch), erected by the end of the 18th century by Karl Geissler, on the order of Joachim von Maltzan (it currently houses the Ensemble of Schools of Forestry). One of the largest Silesian artworks' collections was formerly located there. We know that the collection of engravings had already been possessed by Joachim IV von Maltzan, born in 1593. The collection of prints, drawings and miniatures, expanded by the following family generations, belonged to the most imposing collections of that sort in Germany before the World War II. The palace was also adorned by a picture gallery, with prevalence of paintings by Johann Georg Platzer and Michael Leopold Willmann (among them “Orpheus playing a harp for the animals”). The Maltzans gathered also tapestries (formerly exhibited in the so called Renaissance Salon with a marble portal), old clocks and string instruments. In front of the palace façade remained the statues of horses, a copy of the Roman sculpture depicting a resting bruiser (original in the Roman Palazzo Massimo) and a fountain.
Catalogue of routes
- The great Upper-Silesian families: Ballstrem, Donnersmarck, Thiele-Winkler and Renard
- All around the Hauptmanns - Jagniątków (Agnetendorf) and Szklarska Poręba (Schreiberhau)
- The Cirque of Jelenia Góra (Hirschberg in German) - land of palaces
- To the north of Wroclaw
- To the East of Wroclaw
- Palaces in the Nysa surroundings
- Palaces in the Racibórz (Ratibor) surroundings
- Jawor (Jauer) – Strzegom (Striegau) – Wałbrzych (Waldenburg)
- A walk through Borek - collections of the Wroclaw's Jews
- From Żagań to Biedrzychowice