All around the Hauptmanns - Jagniątków (Agnetendorf) and Szklarska Poręba (Schreiberhau)
As by the end of the 19th century Szklarska Poręba (Schreiberhau) had gained ground as colony of artists, the brothers Carl i Gerhard Hauptmann decided to settle there. In 1890 roku they purchased a house, in which is currently located the museum of their name (information on sightseeing at the website domhauptmannow.pl). Its interiors, equipped with furniture and other accessories from the early 20th century, house the collection dedicated to both brothers, who were artworks’ amateurs. Gerhard settled in 1895 in Jagniątków (Agnetendorf), Carl lived in Szklarska Poręba until his death in 1921. In the house owned by him, the pictures executed by Otto Mueller, a painter related to them, could be admired, as well as a tapestry by Wanda Bibrowicz. Surely there were also landscapes by painters that had operated in Szklarska Poręba (Schreiberhau), smiliar to the ones that can be currently watched in the museum’s halls.
Pokaż na większej mapie
Surely the long-standing friendship with the Hauptmanns' siblings resulted in the two writers', Johannes Guthmann's and Joachim Zimmermann's decision to settle in Szklarska Poręba in 1921. They inhabited a picturesquely situated villa in the Oberweg (presently ul. Górna 4, the villa is currently named „Zakręt” and serves as a holiday camp) that had formerly belonged to Zimmermann's mother. The collection formed by them was among the most significant in that area, which can be testified by enthusiastic articles that appeared in local press. A large amount of antiques was exposed in the music hall, mainly the head of Alexander the Great, dated to the 2nd century A.D. (currently in the National Museum in Warsaw), could be admired there, as well as numerous Roman statues, Etruscan and Tanagrean statues, and ceramics. The villa’s walls were decorated with numerous works by impressionists and postimpressionists (among them the canvas paintings by such big names as Vincent van Gogh), as well as a large group of canvas paintings by German artists (Anselm Feuerbach, Hans Thoma, Fritz von Uhde, Wilhelm Leibl, Wilhelm Trübner, Max Liebermann). The writers were frequently visited by Hans Purrmann and Max Slevogt. Their visits had their token in compositions that served as the interiors’ decoration, as well as in a painting depicting the Mountains’ Ghost, with which Slevogt had decorated the garden arbour. Nearby a statue by Georg Kolbe, depicting a bathing woman was located. A significant part of the collection was constituted also by drawings engravings by such artists as Max Liebermann, Hans von Marées and Ludwig von Hoffmann.
At the last site of the route, we suggest visiting the villa „Wiesenstein” in Jagniątków (Agnetendorf) which was formerly owned by Gerhart Hauptmann. It currently houses the museum dedicated to the Noble prize winner (information on sightseeing available at the homepage www.muzeum-dgh.pl). Accessible for sightseeing are also the former writer’s cabinet, library, fireplace hall, dinning room and the so called “Paradise Hall”, regarding to its polychromy executed by Johannes Maximilan Avenarius (photo by Zbigniew Kulik). The Hauptmann’s villa housed until 1946, an impressive artworks’ collection whose amount was about 1000 pieces. The collection of ancient coins was formerly exhibited in the library. In the hall mostly the medieval sculpture was exposed. The other interiors were adorned with canvas paintings by Otto Mueller, Lovis Corinth, Ludwig von Hoffmann and other painters who were the writer’s close friends. Among them were numerous portraits of Gerhard and his wife Margarete. Among the sculptures, works by August Gaul and Emil Orlik could be admired. Within the large amount of arts and crafts’ objects which decorated the villa in Jagniątków (Agnetendorf), were numerous old stained glasses as well as statues from the Far Orient. Hauptmann collected also numerous graphics by older (Dürer, Altdorfer, Ostade, Callot) and contemporary masters.
Catalogue of routes
- The great Upper-Silesian families: Ballstrem, Donnersmarck, Thiele-Winkler and Renard
- All around the Hauptmanns - Jagniątków (Agnetendorf) and Szklarska Poręba (Schreiberhau)
- The Cirque of Jelenia Góra (Hirschberg in German) - land of palaces
- To the north of Wroclaw
- To the East of Wroclaw
- Palaces in the Nysa surroundings
- Palaces in the Racibórz (Ratibor) surroundings
- Jawor (Jauer) – Strzegom (Striegau) – Wałbrzych (Waldenburg)
- A walk through Borek - collections of the Wroclaw's Jews
- From Żagań to Biedrzychowice